A bitter sweet symphony - Part 1

On 5th August 2002, while listening to the Orientation Lecture in the library I kept cursing my fate....870 rank in CEE and I still can't get into DCE...what the ....A simple sardarjee whom I met in the couselling, Simarjeet Singh, gave me company and asked me how I liked that girl there with the short one. I didn't pay attention, that girl was Charu Sharma and you know who is the little one, Rupali ,of course. Simranjeet strongly felt that she had too much make up, maybe she could share some with us.

Outside me, our sikh friend and Apoorv were greeted with seniors , who tried to rag us but they were not trained properly. Simranjeet tried to scare them away by saying " I AM SIMRANJEET SINGH KHALSA". Khalsa ? Where did that come from. Nice tactic, I would say. Then I got to know some goofy people like Mr.Divya Kr. Gupta, stung by the DCE bug. I got friendly with this fellow patient. And we got chatting. Then came the trio of Mansi, Avantika and Vivek Garg. Mansi , I thought was a girl who had stolen hoola hoops from the circus to use as her ear rings. Vivek I thought was a big flirt. Got that right. And Avantika , I thought she was sent by Mansi's family to protect Mansi from boys like .....like.....Ravish. Yes, the late entrant but instant Ravish. He was welcomed by some , and he was given way by some. And there was Heena, the local landlady, godmother and yes very Punjabi.

I was sleeping at the last desk, when Mr.Communication Skills called out to me. He asked me why I was sleeping? I said.....yaaaaaaawnnnnn !!! And I told him that I came all the way from Ghaziabad. And Alok Kumar turned to me and gave me a brotherly smile. People from GZB like people from GZB, that's the general rule. And hence I got to know Kartikeya Parmar. I learnt rash, mindless, fast driving from him. I henceforth have accumulated a lot of notoriety on the road because of those lessons.

We people - Me, Vivek, Avantika, Neeraj, Divay,Mansi and sometimes Kartikeya had one thing in common...Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Technology. The year of 2002 was as happening as it could be. We were one really weird group, we had this liking for noise and controversy. I couldn't forget those moments when Mansi would get hyper and we would all get behind her and bring her back to 80 beats per minute from something like 200 ! Then she would be the cool gal again in a matter of minutes. And we would be backing to cracking PJs. Then there were those moments when we would huddle around Vivek and counsel him about his love life. Oh ! he cried like a baby. I remember Ravish breaking down as well. Divay too and maybe Avantika. DAMN !! I never cried ! Shit, I was the black sheep. Maybe I had a heart of stone. But I do remember when I was very depressed. I couldn't get into DCE was good enough, but to add to it, my house caught fire on Diwali. It was our new house , that got burnt, and I lost all my possesions and all comprehension of Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

But then I tried hard to get back, with some help from the photocopied notebook of Mansi and support from Vivek. With the new year came some new life into the frail body of Ayush Paul. I enjoyed college to the max. The fest was cool, I danced my heart out on the first day and twisted my ankle on my way back and made sure that I didn't come next day. Sister Avantika gave me all the inputs of the fun they had on the other days of the fest. I was jealous and heartbroken. Speaking of heartbroken, I did break some hearts too. I had this habit of making all girls my sister, and it was not appreciated by some girls. College culture started to fly into the minds of facchas. Love was in the air. Many proposals went here and there. There were few within the group. I didn't get any, poor me. I still haven't got any. So sad of me. But yes I was an object of desire for a few. Some did flirt with me, and that was all. So you can now say that I'm being unbiased. We were people with a real apetite for chat and fights. We chatted all day, fought and made up. I think that must be reason we are still a good group of IT people. Who cared for each other.

At the end of first year, we had begun to gel like like...fevicol...and I got through IIT Screening the first time ever. But not through mains. I had fallen in love by now......in love with MSIT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A handful of joy

Dilli

Last play